Work with Us
We provide compassionate service that is proactive, innovative, and collaborative.
Work with Us
Apply by email to Executive Director, Amy Allison Thompson with resume, cover letter, and 3 references. Applications accepted until February 17th.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Operations is responsible for ensuring that MFB&CC’s programs are delivered with high quality. This position supervises the Program Manager, Service Team Manager, and Warehouse Manager. This position is responsible for the oversight of services provided by this team, interacts daily with volunteers and customers, helps innovate new service delivery models, oversees data tracking, and engages with other organizational leaders in top-level strategy. This person may also be responsible for a variety of other special projects as necessary.
Position Type: Exempt
- At least five years of experience in a senior management position with supervisory responsibilities in a non-profit organization or closely related direct-service operation strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related area preferred.
- Or a suitable combination of education and experience.
Other Requirements Include
- Accountable for delivering all services described within the requirements and responsibilities in a way that follows the mission and values of MFB&CC.
- Work collaboratively within a team environment and have the willingness to assist other co-workers and volunteers with a wide range of tasks as needed.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with a wide range of people including other staff, volunteers, customers, donors, social service agencies, businesses, and the public. Communication skills include but are not limited to:
- Active listening skills with the ability to be reflective and clear in responding to a wide range of situations.
- Maintain and communicate professional boundaries.
- Lead and manage people with clear direction and kind instruction.
- Speak publicly to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and detail-oriented to support the balance of a wide range of tasks and responsibilities including multi-tasking, prioritizing, and delegating tasks as necessary.
- Be self-motivated and self-directed and take initiative in performing a wide variety of tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Proficiency in the operation of common computer applications in Microsoft Suite and Google Suite, as well as being able to maintain databases and learn new applications as necessary.
- Obtain on-the-job training to safely operate a forklift, pallet jack, and other small equipment related to MFB&CC warehouse management and store operations.
- Obtain Managers ServSafe certification within 30 days of being hired and adhere to safe food handling practices.
- Be open-minded and flexible.
- Exercise safe workplace policies and procedures and effectively communicate adherence to policies to volunteers and other staff.
- Stand and/or walk for long periods of time; bend, twist, kneel and stoop; pull, push, or carry heavy objects, including the ability to lift up to 50 pounds, with reasonable accommodation.
- Walk up and down steps to reach and retrieve boxes and other items from shelves.
Special Job Specific Requirements
Staff Supervision and Leadership
- Alongside the Executive Director and the Director’s Team, leads the team with integrity and establishes and maintains a trusting, inclusive, and productive environment. Assume a leadership role alongside the Director’s Team in the management of MFB&CC in the Executive Director’s absence.
- Supervise MFB&CC’s program and operations staff. Supervision includes, but is not limited to, the recruitment, training, scheduling, and evaluation of employees.
- Attend board meetings regularly to report on the state of operations and other board committees as needed.
- Lead staff in the development and implementation of goals identified in the Strategic Plan.
- Develop, evaluate, and modify job descriptions as part of a systems approach to ensure the most effective and efficient distribution of staff workload.
- Participate as a contributing member of the management team.
- As a member of the management team, lead team-building efforts including staff meetings, wellness programs, staff motivation, and professional development.
- Assist in outreach efforts which may include public speaking engagements, coordination of special events, and participation in community discussions regarding the issue of hunger.
- Provide overall program management for MFB&CC on-site store operations, warehouse operations, grocery rescue, volunteer program, ROOTS, Fresh Food Box, satellite locations and pantries, Kids Table programs, Food Circle, EmPower Pack, and other food bank programs and special events.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of staff for large food drives and special events.
- With the Executive Director, guide the program management process including program development, program implementation, and program evaluation.
- Manage the operations to ensure that MFB&CC is using best practices and is in compliance with guidelines and expectations of the Missoula County Health Department, Montana Food Bank Network, the State of Montana and all other monitoring agencies.
- Coordinate with nutrition experts regarding the provision of nutrition education and quality of food offered.
- Assure that MFB&CC participates in a holistic approach to customer service including referral of community resources and the development of collaborations with agencies that are mutually beneficial.
- Work with supervised staff to schedule adequate coverage of MFB&CC’s food distribution programs. Perform front-line work when needed.
- Ensure that facilities and equipment are well maintained and that safety and emergency response programs are developed and maintained.
- Develop and maintain all appropriate procedural manuals including but not limited to staff orientation, safety guidelines, emergency response manual, and disaster recovery planning.
- Respond to day-to-day operational concerns as they arise. These may include safety issues, customer complaints, food safety concerns, and maintenance issues.
Financial Management & Record Keeping
- Collaborates with the Executive Director in the development of program budgets, annual budgets, and strategy.
- Monitors expenditures and variances and provides support with the annual audit process.
- Retrieve data from the database that tracks customer use of the food bank.
- Interpret and analyze data and statistics in collaboration with Data & Development Manager to effectively communicate issues of hunger and community food insecurity.
- Other duties as assigned.
Our mission is to lead the movement to end hunger through advocacy, volunteerism, and healthy food for all. We nourish community.
Missoula Food Bank & Community Center (MFB&CC) is a private, non-profit organization with a 40+ year history of filling the hunger gap in Missoula County. In 2022, we served 1 in 5 people countywide. MFB&CC pursues our mission through direct nutrition programs and through advocacy efforts that impact the upstream causal issues of food insecurity.
MFB&CC is an anti-racist, LGBTQ2S+ ally organization. Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC), and gender-diverse applicants are encouraged to apply.
Engage in a meaningful year of service and community with JVC Northwest! For one year, Jesuit Volunteer (JV)/AmeriCorps members serve local organizations across the Pacific Northwest, helping them address a pressing community need that they’ve identified.
By living together in intentional community, JV/AmeriCorps members lean on each other for personal growth in the four core values of community, simple living, social and ecological justice, and spirituality/reflection.
Here at Missoula Food Bank & Community Center, we are looking to fill the roles of Food Access Member & Community Program Member for the 2023-24 service year that begins in August. The JVs will help us respond to food insecurity via all our programs- Store, Childhood, & Senior Nutrition.
All JV/AmeriCorps members will be provided with a living stipend, communal housing, health insurance, potential student loan forbearance, and a $6,895 AmeriCorps Education Award to be used towards future tuition or to pay back qualified student loans.
Service Dates: August 7, 2023 through July 31, 2024
How to Apply: Apply at www.jvcnorthwest.org.
Application Process: JVC Northwest has a thorough and intentional process for matching applicants with the best service placement for them among our 100+ positions across the Northwest. Applying to JVC Northwest does not mean that you are guaranteed to serve with [ORGANIZATION], but rather that you will be considered for a variety of service placements. Placements are made based on your interests, skills, and experience.
Requirements: JV/AmeriCorps members must be 21 or older on August 7 and cannot be married or have dependents. JV/AmeriCorps members commit to living in intentional community alongside fellow volunteers.
Contact: Reach out to Chris Suriano at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep an eye out for 2023-2024 Term Postings for Summer and yearlong positions through Americorps!
Benefits for Full Time Staff
- Employeer Paid Health Insurance
- Employeer Paid Dental Insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental Leave
- Retirement Plan